The HBPA of Alberta would like to pass along condolences to the family of Doris “Dodie” Burrell.
Dodie was predeceased by her husband Russell (Happy). She is survived by her children Jim (Annette), Perry, Candy, Dawn, Rusty (Sharon) and Doug. Her grandchildren Bobby, Russell, Christy, Danny, Justin, Wyatt and Sawyer; As well as her Step Son Ronnie Burrell, and his children Stacy, Shaun, Erin, Ashely and Cody.
The Burrell family has a long standing tradition of their involvement in horse racing in Alberta over the decades. Russell (Happy) Burrell was a racehorse trainer for many years with Dodie by his side. They had a band called the “Happy Russell and the Prairie Ramblers Band” that traveled and entertained all over Alberta.
The family would like to share some of the family involvement with horse racing:
- Ron Burrell was Dodie’s stepson and was a jockey, exercise rider, and owner/trainer.
- Jimmy Burrell worked as a valet, a jockey, and an exercise rider
- Perry Burrell was an exercise rider, valet, owner/trainer, and continues to own Thoroughbred horses in the province of Alberta.
- Candy Burrell started out in concessions at Northlands Park, moved into a parimutuel clerk, and worked as a fed for horse racing for the Alberta government.
- Dawn Burrell worked concession and parimutuel clerk at Northlands Park and Stampede Park, groomed, and was a licensed pony person.
- Rusty Burrell was a groom, and an owner/trainer.
- Doug Burrell groomed, and worked as a jockey’s room runner.
Dodie herself worked as a mutuels clerk for over 30 years at Northlands Park. She made many friends over those years and had many visitors to her wicket. Dodie will be remembered by the horsemen as a great friend who they knew to always be welcoming and happy and loved the horse racing industry.
Thank you to Dawn, for supplying the family information.
The HBPA would like to thank the Burrell family for their life long commitment to horse racing in Alberta. We are deeply saddened to hear of the loss of Dodie, and we know your memories will bring you comfort in the days ahead.
In lieu of flowers, donations in memory of Dodie may be made to the Veteran’s Food Bank (www.theveteransfoodbankofcalgary.ca).
A celebration of life will be held at a later date. If you wish to be notified when the date and time have been confirmed, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To pass along your condolences to the family please click on Doris Burrell obiturary condolences.